CMS Guidelines for Donning and Doffing PPE
CMS is reporting that during the COVID-19 infection control focused surveys findings are revealing that PPE not being used correctly, including donning and doffing procedures. Surveyors are having staff demonstrate handwashing and donning and doffing of PPE. Nursing facilities are strongly encouraged to review with your staff the appropriate way to apply and remove all PPE, including gloves, gowns, masks, and eye protection.
Please view the video below, filmed 4/6/20 with the most recent updated procedures, as a refresher that can also be shared with your associates.
COVID-19 Related Services for Skilled Nursing Facilities
- COVID-19 Directives and Guidelines for Skilled Nursing Facilities from CMS
- COVID-19 Screening Tool for Visitors and Associates
- Sample Self-Assessment Tool to review the readiness of the facility for COVID-19
- Annual Training Needs Assessment for COVID-19 to include training and back up documentation.
- The development of policies, procedures and trainings specifically for SNFs by our Infection Control Preventionists.
- Observations of current infection control practices by a Certified Infection Preventionist to identify areas of opportunity and verification of meeting all requirements.
- Review of current policies and procedures such as required Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Plans and Communicable Disease Control Plans.
- Education to Associates, Residents and Family members regarding Infection Control and Prevention including COVID-19 through webinars, and on-site training.